The earliest recording of the name is as "Pouls Fee" or "Paul's Fee" in 1498. It lies directly on the Greenwich meridian and, being the highest point on that bearing directly visible from Greenwich, was at one time used as a marker by geographers at the observatory there to set their telescopes and observation equipment to a true zero degree bearing.
On top of the hill there are two obelisks. The larger is made of granite and was erected in 1824 under the direction of the Reverend John Pond, MA, Astronomer Royal.
Lawrence of Arabia once owned a considerable amount of land on the western side of the hill and built himself a small hut there in which he lived for several years. Nothing remains today of this structure on Pole Hill. Lawrence's hut was demolished in 1930.
(Pouls Fee, Wikipedia)